DEADLINE EXTENDED TO MARCH 15, 2013!!!!
Applications for the PFLAG Santa Fe 2013 Scholarships are now open!!
The Scholarship Program provides an important positive statement to a segment of our population that is frequently deprived of needed support. The Santa Fe chapter of PFLAG is pleased to offer a minimum of fifteen $1,000 scholarships for the 2013/2014 academic year. Since May 1997, when the scholarship program for LGBT youth was established, we have awarded scholarships in the total amount of $260,500.
There are many critical issues facing lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgender youth including discrimination, depression, alienation, and the highest rate of suicide among all teenagers. The purpose of this award is To recognize outstanding lesbian, gay, bisexual, and transgender (LGBT) youth; To encourage continuing education for self-identified LGBT youth; and To foster a positive image of LGBT people in society.
Scholarship Eligibility & Terms
Criteria for Awarding Scholarships
- Priority is given to LGBT youth, however LGBT students up to the age of 35 are eligible to apply.
- Priority will be given to first time recipients. Only past recipients who have received only one Santa Fe PFLAG scholarship are eligible (ie you are not eligible if you have received it twice).
- Scholarships designated for a Straight Ally may be available.
- Must attend a post-secondary educational institution within one year.
- Resident of the state of New Mexico.
- Must submit an application (in full, following all directions) with required supporting materials by the application deadline.
- Awards will be paid by check jointly to the student and the institution.
- Affirmation of one's LGBT or Ally identity.
- Demonstration of integrity and honesty.
- Participation in community activities.
- Determination and potential to achieve goals.
- COMPLETE application submitted on time.
For more information, e-mail us at email@example.com or call Jenn at 660-3288.
- Application Due Date: March 1, 2013
- Decisions Announced: April 2013
- Scholarship Award Reception: Sunday June 2, 2013 (scholar attendance expected, community members welcome, though please do RSVP)